Monday, August 13, 2012

Buffalo Wings!!!

I made my "famous" buffalo wings on Saturday.  So yummy!!!  This certainly didn't help my food weekend, but they are totally worth the calories.  I didn't do the greatest on Sunday either but I plan to get back on track this week because Saturday is vacation time!  Tonight I'm thinking the Gazelle is in order and I might just let Tony coach me so that I know it will be a good workout!

I will share my recipe as promised.  These are cooked in the oven rather then deep-fried, but wings in general are very calorie filled whether they're deep-fried or not.  I have been extra descriptive on the preparation instructions but they are actually really easy to make.

Totally Awesome Chicken Wings


2 pounds chicken wings, split into drumette and flat
1 1/2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tsp sea salt
1 cup flour
2 large zipper bags
large cookie sheet
non-stick foil
oil sprayer (optional)
sauce (see below)

Preheat oven to 425°F.  Line the cookie sheet with non-stick foil.  Alternately you could use regular foil, dull side up, brushed with vegetable oil but the wings will still stick some.  With non-stick foil you don't have the added calories or frustration when turning them.

In the first bag pour vegetable oil and sea salt.

Place the flour in the second bag.

Place the split wings in the first bag, seal, and toss well.

Transfer the wings, by hand or utensil, to the second bag in batches of 8-10. Seal bag and toss well.

Transfer each batch of the wings, by hand or utensil, to the foil-lined cookie sheet until all are on the sheet.  There will be a small amount of flour left in the bag, just discard.

Place cookie sheet in oven for 20 minutes.  Remove. 

An oil-sprayer works well here to lightly spray prior to turning.  It is especially important to spray (or even brush) with oil if you are using regular foil.

Turn all the wings and place back in oven for 20 minutes.  Remove from oven.  Wings are ready to be tossed in sauce.

Use your favorite store bought wing sauce.  Target sells a good one, Archer Farms Medium Buffalo Wing Sauce and they have other flavors as well.  Buffalo Wild Wings have fantastic sauces that you can buy to take home.  I love the Medium on these wings, my kids love the Honey BBQ.  If you don't have wing sauce you can also use Franks Red Hot Sauce.  Just melt a 1/4 cup butter or margarine and mix in 1/4 cup Franks Red Hot Sauce then toss wings in it.

I like to use sealable containers.  I place the wings in the container, add as much sauce as I want, put the lid on and toss.  I use separate containers for each flavour of sauce.

Time to eat! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment